6 Foods I Use to Help Fight the Flu
- Ginger - Ginger has been known for many years for its healing properties. What is believed to be responsible for these benefits is a compound called gingerol. Not only is it good for the flu but many use it for headaches and menstrual pain too! Try boiling it in hot water or hot tea for 10-15 minutes (Add a hint of honey for better flavour).
- Garlic- allicin and allion are properties which cause garlic to be antibacterial. The most effective way is to chew on raw garlic but if the taste is too strong for you, mince the garlic and cook it in a soup or mix with honey!
- Turmeric - Turmeric has been becoming increasingly popular in the western healthy diet. It is a spice that is commonly used in Indian cuisine. Turmeric is extremely high in antioxidants and also has anti-inflammatory properties. You can even try drinking turmeric tea with honey because honey helps kill bacteria - a perfect combination to fight the flu!
- Berries - Berries are very high in antioxidants with acai berry and blueberries in the lead. Antioxidants help fight off free radicals which are imbalanced molecules which attack your body. Having more foods which are high in antioxidants will help your body stay healthy and fight off sicknesses.
- Citrus fruits - It was once believed that vitamin C is the ultimate flu fighting vitamin. Although recent studies show that it isn’t as effective as it was believed, it certainly does help shorten the length of your flu.
- Oysters - Yes! If you love oysters, this is the perfect occasion to order a platter. Oysters are rich in Zinc which is an essential mineral which is known to help fight off the cold.